A veteran personality, Djoni Herlambang is the CTO (Chief Technical Officer) and DTO of AEON. He is a transformational leader with rich standing experience, who has steered through all thick and thin conditions and risen in every situation. Leading from the forefront, overcoming challenges, guiding his team, and expanding his business multi-fold, Djoni’s journey is an extraordinary one.
An Outstanding Leader
Strong knowledge of front-end and back-end retail IT systems and processes with more than 35 years of experience in the area. Highly dedicated to working, self-disciplined, customer service-oriented, and possesses strong interpersonal and leadership skills. Affirmed by the existing management to be resourceful, creative, responsible, and, attentive.
Demonstrated ability in managing multi-country, multi-banner, multi-cultural organizations. Experienced in taking over production systems, setting up new systems, infrastructure development, organization, and planning and execution of integration strategies in newly acquired businesses.
Proven track record running profit centre IT organizations in many countries. Regularly executes IT strategies to implement technological advances and initiatives to maintain a technological advantage over competitors.
Djoni’s Professional Timeline
Djoni’s career is spread across more than three decades. In these 30 years, he has successfully donned many roles at various companies and countries and excelled in each of them.
As a leader, Djoni states that experiencing different and multiple cultures and environments during his career journey has helped him grow and develop to become the best version of himself. Additionally, he confirms that the most important trait in a business leader’s career is being humble with customer oriented and fast-responsive mindset.
- Completed bachelor of information technology from one of the technical universities in Indonesia
- Started in retail operations up to IT manager for 13 years (1984 to 1997) in the Hero Group Indonesia
- Move to Hong Kong as IT project manager for 3 years from 1997 to 2000 in Dairy Farm International
- Look after regional Malaysia, Brunei and Vietnam when working as IT Regional Director in Giant Malaysia for 8 years from 2000 to 2008
- In charge as IT regional director in Cold Storage Singapore from 2008 to 2016 before moving back to Indonesia as Operations Support Director in Trans Mart from 2016 to 2018
- As group CTO in City Holding Myanmar for 2 years (2018 to 2020) before joining as CTO in AEON Co Malaysia, from 2020 to now
Aeon was founded in 1984 and is based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The company is listed on Bursa Malaysia under the Main Market.
AEON CO. (M) BHD. (AEON) is a subsidiary company of AEON Co Ltd Japan and operates in retailing and property management services. Retailing includes operations of a chain of superstores and supermarkets selling clothing, food, household goods, and other merchandise. Property management services are engaged in shopping centre operations.
Aeon operates stores under AEON Stores, AEON MALL, AEON BiG, MaxValu Prime, AEON Wellness, Daiso, and Komai-so formats spread across Malaysia. AEON Malaysia operates in more than 40 Malls as the landlord. More than 60 hypermarkets and department stores with more than 100 health and beauty shops and flat price stores.
In Malaysia, AEON is a leading General Merchandise Store cum Supermarket chain, with 34 AEON Stores, 28 AEON Mall, 21 AEON BiG, 9 AEON MaxValu Prime, 65 AEON Wellness, 42 Daiso, and 3 Komai-so across the country.
AEON Co Malaysia is supported by approximately 11,000 employees, 4,000 tenants and business partners, and more than two million AEON Member Plus cardholders.
The company offers online shopping services under myAEON2go and AEON Makan. AEON Group Malaysia aspires to collaborate with all the stakeholders and communities in creating a future of limitless possibilities.
The Meaning of AEON
AEON is a transliteration from a Latin word that means eternity. The name implies the eternal nature of the company as AEON continuously strives to satisfy the ever-changing needs and desires of its customers, guided by the basic philosophy of ‘Customer First.’
The Inspiration behind AEON
Djoni’s aimed to embark on a digital transformation journey in the company within a short period especially during the pandemic period by converting manual operations to digital operations. As the world continues to grow more digitally, this leap and transformation will help AEON grow with leaps and bounds.
Shifting to digital gears has helped AEON stand out among its competitors. The customer and employee digital experience with transparency in all aspects has created a win-win situation.
An Overview of Djoni’s Current Leadership Role
Djoni strategizes, leads, and drives the digital transformation across the group in the following business formats in Malaysia.
- Retail format with more than 200 stores from Department stores, Hypermarkets, Supermarket, Health & Beauty, Flat Price stores.
- Property business with more than 40 malls and more than 4000 tenants
- Multiple eCommerce businesses from Market place e-commerce up to cross-border e-commerce with the rewards program.
Some of his other responsibilities include:
- Managing IT infrastructure and system application in multi-cloud platforms across AEON Indonesia and AEON Cambodia as part of ASEAN roles
- Planning, executing and handling an annual IT budget of more than 20 million USD across the group of companies
- Managing and deploying ERP solutions such as SAP within the group Implementation of Profit Centre Ecosystem Platform across the group from suppliers, business partners, customers, and B2B
- E-Payment and E-Wallet solution with Rewards program for more than 2 mill customers
- Deploying the latest android devices and system across more than 8000 users in multiple business units
- Develop a digital transformation
Getting Future Ready
AEON aims to be the 1st modern retailer that provides a full complete digital experience to their ecosystem. It can be achieved by understanding the customer’s needs and delivering them digitally.
Quantum leap digital transformation should be able to bring profit center IT organizations in the retail industry within a short period.